Ten Signs That Hint at Abuse
Some signs of violence that may indicate a child may be physically or sexually abused at home are readily apparent to many educators and counselors.
Here is the list of 10 Signs That Hint at Abuse:
1. Unexplained injuries, especially burns or bruises in the shape of objects including the fingers.
2. Changes in behavior, like becoming more aggressive and bullying other children or becoming withdrawn.
3. Return to earlier behaviors, like thumb-sucking, bed-wetting or fear of the dark.
4. Fear of going home.
5. Changes in eating, which may result in weight gain or loss.
6. Changes in sleeping, including nightmares or difficulty falling asleep.
7. Changes in school performance and attendance.
8. Lack of personal care or hygiene.
9. Risk-taking behaviors, like using drugs or alcohol or carrying a weapon.
10. Inappropriate sexual behaviors or use of explicit sexual language.
Remember that suspected abuse is enough reason to contact the authorities whether it be CPS or the police. You do not need proof.
Top 10 Eating Disorder Blogs of 2015
Eating Disorder Hope Award
- The Promise of Trans-Cranial Electrical Stimulation November 5, 2016
- Fall Backpacking Trip October 18-20, 2016
- Embrace: The Movie September 20, 2016
- Shift. Focus. Evolve. August 31, 2016
- Maria's Worlds August 30, 2016
- The Challenges of Summer July 15, 2016
- High Ropes Course Challenges Families to Develop New Dynamic June 20, 2016
- Mirasol's Family Program: Recovery for the Whole Family June 16, 2016
- Eating Disorders, Shame and Tools for Recovery June 9, 2016
- Esquire Magazine's Recipe for Male Anorexia April 26, 2016
- Backpacking with Clients: What We Brought, And What We Took Away April 20, 2016
- Finding Yourself in the Middle of Nowhere April 20, 2016
- Eating Disorders and Sexuality: A Mirasol Panel Discussion March 10, 2016
- Straight Talk on Body Image: A Mirasol Panel Discussion February 22, 2016
- Treatment Center Reviews February 16, 2016
- Art Therapy: Challenging the Inner Critic February 8, 2016
- Men Experience Eating Disorders Too! February 8, 2016
- Jenn’s Story: Learning to Put Recovery First January 27, 2016
- “Reflections:” A Powerful Tool for Healing Relationships, Developing Personal Responsibility, and Moving Forward in Recovery January 23, 2016
- The Best Present: The Neurobiology of Giving December 16, 2015
- Having Faith: A Mirasol Client Video Testimonial December 11, 2015