Brain Stimulation Shows Promise for Eating Disorders
I couldn't wait to let you all know about this new neuroscience research! It's beginning to look more and more like brain-based interventions will be a hopeful frontier for eating disorders recovery.
I've always thought that the brain was where an eating disorder began.
At Mirasol, we have been integrating neurofeedback into our holistic eating disorder treatment programs since we first opened our doors. While we've witnessed profound outcomes anecdotally since, we're finally starting to get empirical proof of what we have always intuitively known! Yay!
Over the course of four to six weeks, study participants (n=20) each received 20 sessions, each 45-minutes in length, of repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation. Nearly half of the participants experienced symptom relief at a 50% or greater magnitude. Of added significance, the subjects presented with persistent eating disorders. Individuals with enduring eating disorder symptoms are often tagged as "treatment-resistant" or "hopeless cases"...While the sample size is quite small in this particular study, the collective neuroscience findings over the last year are equally impressive and hopeful.
Top 10 Eating Disorder Blogs of 2015
Eating Disorder Hope Award
- Embrace: The Movie September 20, 2016
- Shift. Focus. Evolve. August 31, 2016
- Maria's Worlds August 30, 2016
- The Challenges of Summer July 15, 2016
- High Ropes Course Challenges Families to Develop New Dynamic June 20, 2016
- Mirasol's Family Program: Recovery for the Whole Family June 16, 2016
- Eating Disorders, Shame and Tools for Recovery June 9, 2016
- Esquire Magazine's Recipe for Male Anorexia April 26, 2016
- Backpacking with Clients: What We Brought, And What We Took Away April 20, 2016
- Finding Yourself in the Middle of Nowhere April 20, 2016
- Eating Disorders and Sexuality: A Mirasol Panel Discussion March 10, 2016
- Straight Talk on Body Image: A Mirasol Panel Discussion February 22, 2016
- Treatment Center Reviews February 16, 2016
- Art Therapy: Challenging the Inner Critic February 8, 2016
- Men Experience Eating Disorders Too! February 8, 2016
- Jenn’s Story: Learning to Put Recovery First January 27, 2016
- “Reflections:” A Powerful Tool for Healing Relationships, Developing Personal Responsibility, and Moving Forward in Recovery January 23, 2016
- The Best Present: The Neurobiology of Giving December 16, 2015
- Having Faith: A Mirasol Client Video Testimonial December 11, 2015