Adventure Therapy Includes High Ropes Challenge Course
As part of Mirasol's family program, both clients and their families participate in high ropes challenge courses, including zip lines, high "V" and giant ladders.
"We've been doing the challenge course for several years now, and it has become a really important part of our program," says Mirasol Clinical Director Diane Ryan.
"It's a great metaphor for what the clients are going through in treatment. Recovery from an eating disorder is a huge challenge, but clients learn that they're stronger than they think they are, that they can access different resources, learn to ask for support, and find out that they're not in this all by themselves."
Since the challenge course was so powerful in the normal course of treatment, Ryan decided to incorporate it into Mirasol's three-day family program.
"The exercises help women and their families see how they relate to one another," says Ryan. "We talk a lot about things like enmeshment and enabling. But it's one thing to talk about it, and it's another to climb 40 feet in the air, lean on each for support, and find out that one of you is holding back and unwilling to trust. Or discover how you can push through it by encouraging each other and being clear about communicating what you need."
In the "High V", two people clasp hands and traverse a set of cables in a "V" shape, each walking on one of the cables. The farther they traverse, the more they must lean on one another. The only way for them to succeed is to put their total trust in each other.
"Adding the challenge course has created a whole different dimension. Families often tell us that it was the highlight of the program. It helps them feel connected and learn to communicate in a different way. So it really does what we want family program to do, which is put them in a place where they will have a whole different relationship going forward."
Top 10 Eating Disorder Blogs of 2015
Eating Disorder Hope Award
- Breaking the Cycle of Eating Disorders, Insomnia and Trauma January 17, 2017
- The Promise of Trans-Cranial Electrical Stimulation November 5, 2016
- Fall Backpacking Trip October 18-20, 2016
- Embrace: The Movie September 20, 2016
- Shift. Focus. Evolve. August 31, 2016
- Maria's Worlds August 30, 2016
- The Challenges of Summer July 15, 2016
- High Ropes Course Challenges Families to Develop New Dynamic June 20, 2016
- Mirasol's Family Program: Recovery for the Whole Family June 16, 2016
- Eating Disorders, Shame and Tools for Recovery June 9, 2016
- Esquire Magazine's Recipe for Male Anorexia April 26, 2016
- Backpacking with Clients: What We Brought, And What We Took Away April 20, 2016
- Finding Yourself in the Middle of Nowhere April 20, 2016
- Eating Disorders and Sexuality: A Mirasol Panel Discussion March 10, 2016
- Straight Talk on Body Image: A Mirasol Panel Discussion February 22, 2016
- Treatment Center Reviews February 16, 2016
- Art Therapy: Challenging the Inner Critic February 8, 2016
- Men Experience Eating Disorders Too! February 8, 2016
- Jenn’s Story: Learning to Put Recovery First January 27, 2016
- “Reflections:” A Powerful Tool for Healing Relationships, Developing Personal Responsibility, and Moving Forward in Recovery January 23, 2016
- The Best Present: The Neurobiology of Giving December 16, 2015
- Having Faith: A Mirasol Client Video Testimonial December 11, 2015