Laying Eggs and the Foundation for Recovery
I have often said that I would try anything that I thought would be healing and helpful for our clients. In the 10 years since Mirasol's founding, we have experimented with many cutting edge therapies, including animal therapy. At one point, our menagerie included a miniature donkey, a goat, and several therapy dogs. But ... chickens??! You couldn't blame the skeptics for clucking in disbelief!
It was almost by accident that chickens became part of Mirasol's residential eating disorder treatment program. Our central Tucson residence had a large fenced-in area, and one of our therapists suggested we get a couple of chickens. But not just any chickens. Gorgeous russet Rhode Island Reds, lovely speckled Barred Plymouth Rocks and snowy White Leghorns. Each one was a work of art! And could they lay eggs! I think we produced enough to feed the entire neighborhood!
Early last spring we admitted an anorexic client who weighed 85 pounds. My heart ached when I looked at her. She was extremely malnourished, and her strict vegan diet made it difficult to gain weight. She had been in treatment for three weeks when one morning she suddenly requested an egg for breakfast. We couldn't believe our ears! Somehow, by spending time with the Mirasol chickens, and witnessing how they were fed and cared for, she understood that she could eat some protein so long as she knew where it came from!
So in the end, it was one of our own clients who hatched an idea for a successful new form of animal therapy. The Mirasol chickens are here to stay. The women take turns feeding and watering them, gathering eggs and even cleaning out the pen. "It's messy and sometimes it grosses them out," laments Mirasol therapist E.J. Kerwin, "but they understand that it's part of the overall process of cultivating a healthy space."
Messy, but part of cultivating a healthy space. Just like recovery ...
Top 10 Eating Disorder Blogs of 2015
Eating Disorder Hope Award
- Mirasol Presents at Asta 2017 April 25, 2017
- Breaking the Cycle of Eating Disorders, Insomnia and Trauma January 17, 2017
- The Promise of Trans-Cranial Electrical Stimulation November 5, 2016
- Fall Backpacking Trip October 18-20, 2016
- Embrace: The Movie September 20, 2016
- Shift. Focus. Evolve. August 31, 2016
- Maria's Worlds August 30, 2016
- The Challenges of Summer July 15, 2016
- High Ropes Course Challenges Families to Develop New Dynamic June 20, 2016
- Mirasol's Family Program: Recovery for the Whole Family June 16, 2016
- Eating Disorders, Shame and Tools for Recovery June 9, 2016
- Esquire Magazine's Recipe for Male Anorexia April 26, 2016
- Backpacking with Clients: What We Brought, And What We Took Away April 20, 2016
- Finding Yourself in the Middle of Nowhere April 20, 2016
- Eating Disorders and Sexuality: A Mirasol Panel Discussion March 10, 2016
- Straight Talk on Body Image: A Mirasol Panel Discussion February 22, 2016
- Treatment Center Reviews February 16, 2016
- Art Therapy: Challenging the Inner Critic February 8, 2016
- Men Experience Eating Disorders Too! February 8, 2016
- Jenn’s Story: Learning to Put Recovery First January 27, 2016
- “Reflections:” A Powerful Tool for Healing Relationships, Developing Personal Responsibility, and Moving Forward in Recovery January 23, 2016
- The Best Present: The Neurobiology of Giving December 16, 2015
- Having Faith: A Mirasol Client Video Testimonial December 11, 2015