Four Ways to Combat Food Binging
You may feel that it's a moral failing or lack of willpower that keeps you bingeing. But it's not! Always remember that for anyone who struggles with dis-ordered eating, our inability to regulate ourselves or cure ourselves is possible.
Here are 4 ways you can Combat Food Cravings, Depression, and Anxiety
1. Keep your blood sugar balanced. Make this your top priority.
Always eat breakfast, including protein such as eggs, nut butters or a protein shake. Eat smaller meals throughout the day. Eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner and 3 snacks a day (small frequent meals), making sure you have protein with each snack or meal (lean animal protein, nuts, seeds, beans.
Plan 6 small meals a day. By not letting yourself become hungry, your blood sugar will stop its wild fluctuations and begin to stabilize. You'll be amazed at how quickly your cravings and urges to binge on anything and everything will go away.
Keep consumption of sugar or anything with fructose, corn syrup, or artificial sweeteners to a minimum. Focus on fresh fruits, vegetables, proteins, and complex carbohydrates. Shop for foods that are fresh and not processed, packaged, or canned. Try it. It works.
2. Determine if hidden food allergies are triggering your cravings.
We are often allergic to the foods we crave the most. A good naturopathic physician is a great choice for complete allergy testing. Consider complete allergy testing.
3. Get 7-8+ hours of sleep. Not getting enough sleep increases cravings.
4. Take supplements designed just for you.
Work with a naturopath or dietitian to prescribe the appropriate supplements you needs. The most important ones include Vitamin D, amino acids such as 5-HTP, and Omega 3s – all assist normal brain function and insulin control.
By beginning with a few simple steps, you can begin your life-long journey to health and wellness!
Top 10 Eating Disorder Blogs of 2015
Eating Disorder Hope Award
- Fall Backpacking Trip October 18-20, 2016
- Embrace: The Movie September 20, 2016
- Shift. Focus. Evolve. August 31, 2016
- Maria's Worlds August 30, 2016
- The Challenges of Summer July 15, 2016
- High Ropes Course Challenges Families to Develop New Dynamic June 20, 2016
- Mirasol's Family Program: Recovery for the Whole Family June 16, 2016
- Eating Disorders, Shame and Tools for Recovery June 9, 2016
- Esquire Magazine's Recipe for Male Anorexia April 26, 2016
- Backpacking with Clients: What We Brought, And What We Took Away April 20, 2016
- Finding Yourself in the Middle of Nowhere April 20, 2016
- Eating Disorders and Sexuality: A Mirasol Panel Discussion March 10, 2016
- Straight Talk on Body Image: A Mirasol Panel Discussion February 22, 2016
- Treatment Center Reviews February 16, 2016
- Art Therapy: Challenging the Inner Critic February 8, 2016
- Men Experience Eating Disorders Too! February 8, 2016
- Jenn’s Story: Learning to Put Recovery First January 27, 2016
- “Reflections:” A Powerful Tool for Healing Relationships, Developing Personal Responsibility, and Moving Forward in Recovery January 23, 2016
- The Best Present: The Neurobiology of Giving December 16, 2015
- Having Faith: A Mirasol Client Video Testimonial December 11, 2015