Does Someone You Know Have an Eating Disorder
Living with an eating disorder can be extremely challenging, both for the person suffering and for family and friends. Anorexia, bulimia and other conditions take mental and physical tolls, but it can at times be difficult to know when an eating disorder is present so that you or your loved one can get the necessary treatment to regain health. Knowing the symptoms and signs to look for will help you see when you or someone you know has an eating disorder before it is too late.
Signs of anorexia nervosa include abdominal pain and a thin appearance and the person may have trouble sleeping and experience social withdrawal. Someone that is anorexic may be irritable and outright refuse to eat. Other physical symptoms include low blood pressure, frequently feeling cold and having dry skin.
How to Spot Bulimia
Bulimia nervosa, on the other hand, is different in that a person may overeat until the point of discomfort or pain before self-inducing vomit in order to keep the food from being digested into the stomach. Signs to look for include damaged teeth, low self-esteem, increased use of laxatives and constant dieting or fasting.
Questions to Ask Yourself
If you think you may have an eating disorder, it is important to take a step back and analyze the situation so that you can explain what is happening to your doctor and get the help you need. If you find that you are eating more privately or are anxious that someone will find out about you eating, you may be developing symptoms of an eating disorder. The best thing you can do is learn more about eating disorders so you can notice symptoms and improve your health before they progress.
Top 10 Eating Disorder Blogs of 2015
Eating Disorder Hope Award
- The Promise of Trans-Cranial Electrical Stimulation November 5, 2016
- Fall Backpacking Trip October 18-20, 2016
- Embrace: The Movie September 20, 2016
- Shift. Focus. Evolve. August 31, 2016
- Maria's Worlds August 30, 2016
- The Challenges of Summer July 15, 2016
- High Ropes Course Challenges Families to Develop New Dynamic June 20, 2016
- Mirasol's Family Program: Recovery for the Whole Family June 16, 2016
- Eating Disorders, Shame and Tools for Recovery June 9, 2016
- Esquire Magazine's Recipe for Male Anorexia April 26, 2016
- Backpacking with Clients: What We Brought, And What We Took Away April 20, 2016
- Finding Yourself in the Middle of Nowhere April 20, 2016
- Eating Disorders and Sexuality: A Mirasol Panel Discussion March 10, 2016
- Straight Talk on Body Image: A Mirasol Panel Discussion February 22, 2016
- Treatment Center Reviews February 16, 2016
- Art Therapy: Challenging the Inner Critic February 8, 2016
- Men Experience Eating Disorders Too! February 8, 2016
- Jenn’s Story: Learning to Put Recovery First January 27, 2016
- “Reflections:” A Powerful Tool for Healing Relationships, Developing Personal Responsibility, and Moving Forward in Recovery January 23, 2016
- The Best Present: The Neurobiology of Giving December 16, 2015
- Having Faith: A Mirasol Client Video Testimonial December 11, 2015