Herbal Remedies for Anxiety, Depression and Insomnia
I was teaching my weekly health group at Mirasol and was feeling really excited about sharing information about herbal medicine with our clients. It was easy to pick up on their enthusiasm about trying new things as a part of their recovery journey here. I also forget at times how special our program is and how fortunate I am to practice naturopathic medicine in such a unique environment.
One subject of great interest was the topic of nervine herbs. These are herbs that help nourish the nervous system. Many clients discover Kava Kava while in treatment at Mirasol. It's an herb native to the South Pacific and is very effective in treatment of anxiety. It's a nice alternative to the highly addictive anxiety medications like Valium and Xanax. You can take it as needed or throughout the day (up three times/day). However, if you're going to take Kava Kava for more than a few months, it's a good idea to have your liver enzymes checked.
I'm also a fan of herbal combinations that include passionflower, skullcap and milky oats. These can relieve anxiety and are may help us to better adapt to stress. I also like to include Valerian for clients who have trouble falling asleep or staying asleep.
I have found that there is no "one-size-fits-all" treatment for insomnia. I encourage clients to try different combinations and to practice good sleep hygiene. Cutting back on caffeine intake is a must also for those dealing with insomnia and/or anxiety.
For faster results, I suggest taking the herbs in a tincture form to ensure rapid absorption into the bloodstream. Otherwise, capsules and teas are fine too.
Top 10 Eating Disorder Blogs of 2015
Eating Disorder Hope Award
- Breaking the Cycle of Eating Disorders, Insomnia and Trauma January 17, 2017
- The Promise of Trans-Cranial Electrical Stimulation November 5, 2016
- Fall Backpacking Trip October 18-20, 2016
- Embrace: The Movie September 20, 2016
- Shift. Focus. Evolve. August 31, 2016
- Maria's Worlds August 30, 2016
- The Challenges of Summer July 15, 2016
- High Ropes Course Challenges Families to Develop New Dynamic June 20, 2016
- Mirasol's Family Program: Recovery for the Whole Family June 16, 2016
- Eating Disorders, Shame and Tools for Recovery June 9, 2016
- Esquire Magazine's Recipe for Male Anorexia April 26, 2016
- Backpacking with Clients: What We Brought, And What We Took Away April 20, 2016
- Finding Yourself in the Middle of Nowhere April 20, 2016
- Eating Disorders and Sexuality: A Mirasol Panel Discussion March 10, 2016
- Straight Talk on Body Image: A Mirasol Panel Discussion February 22, 2016
- Treatment Center Reviews February 16, 2016
- Art Therapy: Challenging the Inner Critic February 8, 2016
- Men Experience Eating Disorders Too! February 8, 2016
- Jenn’s Story: Learning to Put Recovery First January 27, 2016
- “Reflections:” A Powerful Tool for Healing Relationships, Developing Personal Responsibility, and Moving Forward in Recovery January 23, 2016
- The Best Present: The Neurobiology of Giving December 16, 2015
- Having Faith: A Mirasol Client Video Testimonial December 11, 2015