Embrace: The Movie
In 2013, Australian photographer Taryn Brumfitt almost broke the internet with an unconventional "before" and "after" photo of herself. The image was seen by more than 100 million people worldwide and sparked an international media frenzy.
After the birth of her first child, Brumfitt was horrified by her appearance, and embarked on a stringent regime of diet and exercise. Two children later, she posted the "after" photo of her new body — round, naked, natural and bearing the obvious signs of motherhood.
Brumfitt was swamped with emails — some condemning her for "letting herself go," but many more inquiring how she had learned to love her body.
7000 emails later, Brumfitt decided to create a movie about body image, diversity and self-acceptance. Written and directed by Brumfitt, and partly crowd-funded by a Kickstarter campaign, Embrace follows Taryn's crusade as she explores the global issue of body loathing, inspiring us to change the way we feel about ourselves and think about our bodies.
Mirasol is trying to bring this important movie to Tucson!
To do so, we need to sell 58 tickets by October 24. If we succeed, the film will be shown Wednesday November 9, at 7:30 pm at the AMC 15 Foothills. The cost is $11 a ticket. You can reserve your ticket at http://gathr.us/screening/17819.
Help us get the word out!
Like and share this event at EMBRACE - TUCSON.
Top 10 Eating Disorder Blogs of 2015
Eating Disorder Hope Award
- Embrace: The Movie September 20, 2016
- Shift. Focus. Evolve. August 31, 2016
- Maria's Worlds August 30, 2016
- The Challenges of Summer July 15, 2016
- High Ropes Course Challenges Families to Develop New Dynamic June 20, 2016
- Mirasol's Family Program: Recovery for the Whole Family June 16, 2016
- Eating Disorders, Shame and Tools for Recovery June 9, 2016
- Esquire Magazine's Recipe for Male Anorexia April 26, 2016
- Backpacking with Clients: What We Brought, And What We Took Away April 20, 2016
- Finding Yourself in the Middle of Nowhere April 20, 2016
- Eating Disorders and Sexuality: A Mirasol Panel Discussion March 10, 2016
- Straight Talk on Body Image: A Mirasol Panel Discussion February 22, 2016
- Treatment Center Reviews February 16, 2016
- Art Therapy: Challenging the Inner Critic February 8, 2016
- Men Experience Eating Disorders Too! February 8, 2016
- Jenn’s Story: Learning to Put Recovery First January 27, 2016
- “Reflections:” A Powerful Tool for Healing Relationships, Developing Personal Responsibility, and Moving Forward in Recovery January 23, 2016
- The Best Present: The Neurobiology of Giving December 16, 2015
- Having Faith: A Mirasol Client Video Testimonial December 11, 2015