Inspirational Quotes and Love
"Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it." - Rumi
When you are feeling alone, depressed, scared, frustrated and binging away or running on the treadmill as if you were running from a pack of wolves, when you feel you have no place to turn and you reject all options, you still have an option.
Inspirational quotes come through your Twitter and Facebook pages on a regular basis, even if you are not looking for them. You can use them, not just for a momentary glimpse into a different way of thinking, but as a practical way to get back into recovery mode.
How? Do a google search on inspirational quotes. You'll find many sites with long lists of wise and profound words from people across time. Pay attention to how you feel as you read them.
When you find one that seems to speak to you or expresses what you wish you had or opens a window of perception for you, linger with it.
Write it down.
Break it down into daily tasks you can do to make that inspirational quote truly your own.
For example, if Rumi's quote above feels like it is wise guidance to having love in your life, then
- keep it.
- write it down.
- journal about what barriers you have within you that block love.
This is not a time for self criticism. This is your looking at what those obstacles within might be.
Once you have a list, then you can journal about what you can do to dissemble those obstacles.
- When you do this you are increasing your awareness of your way of being in the world.
- You are learning how you affect responses around you.
- Best, you are learning how to make many subtle changes that eventually erode your barriers and allow love to enter your life.
Many of your interior obstacles are strengthened by your eating disorder thinking and behaviors. As you follow your own ways of dissolving your obstacles in order to allow love in your life you discover that you are weakening your eating disorder.
Inspirational quotes can be wonderful guides and support for you.
Here are a few inspirational quote sites to get you started.
- Brainy Quotes
- Motivational and Inspirational Quotes
- 100 Top Inspirational Quotes - Forbes
- 101 Inspirational Quotes from Super Successful People
And more on this subject:
Joanna Poppink, MFT, Los Angeles eating disorder recovery psychotherapist in private practice, author of Healing Your Hungry Heart: recovering from your eating disorder. Website firstname.lastname@example.org
Top 10 Eating Disorder Blogs of 2015
Eating Disorder Hope Award
- Mirasol Presents at Asta 2017 April 25, 2017
- Breaking the Cycle of Eating Disorders, Insomnia and Trauma January 17, 2017
- The Promise of Trans-Cranial Electrical Stimulation November 5, 2016
- Fall Backpacking Trip October 18-20, 2016
- Embrace: The Movie September 20, 2016
- Shift. Focus. Evolve. August 31, 2016
- Maria's Worlds August 30, 2016
- The Challenges of Summer July 15, 2016
- High Ropes Course Challenges Families to Develop New Dynamic June 20, 2016
- Mirasol's Family Program: Recovery for the Whole Family June 16, 2016
- Eating Disorders, Shame and Tools for Recovery June 9, 2016
- Esquire Magazine's Recipe for Male Anorexia April 26, 2016
- Backpacking with Clients: What We Brought, And What We Took Away April 20, 2016
- Finding Yourself in the Middle of Nowhere April 20, 2016
- Eating Disorders and Sexuality: A Mirasol Panel Discussion March 10, 2016
- Straight Talk on Body Image: A Mirasol Panel Discussion February 22, 2016
- Treatment Center Reviews February 16, 2016
- Art Therapy: Challenging the Inner Critic February 8, 2016
- Men Experience Eating Disorders Too! February 8, 2016
- Jenn’s Story: Learning to Put Recovery First January 27, 2016
- “Reflections:” A Powerful Tool for Healing Relationships, Developing Personal Responsibility, and Moving Forward in Recovery January 23, 2016
- The Best Present: The Neurobiology of Giving December 16, 2015
- Having Faith: A Mirasol Client Video Testimonial December 11, 2015