When Mirasol clients reach the end of their treatment program, we all share in a closing ceremony to celebrate the transition. The ceremonies can take many different forms, including dance or artwork that symbolizes what the client is ending and beginning when he or she goes home. Maria loves basketball, so for her closing ceremony, she created some very special works of art, including two basketballs that represent her worlds before and after treatment.
The old universe is deflated and covered with words that describe her state of mind when she came to Mirasol: complicated, anxious, isolated, numb, scared, lost, confused, hopeless, overwhelmed.
Maria chose these words to describe her new world: peace, connection, happy, blessings, coping skills, self-love, self-care, mindful, motivation, open, understanding, grateful, balanced.
Maria says creating these works for her closing ceremony made her realizes how much she has grown.
"When I first came here, I was like 'I only need to be here a week, I'm fine, I don't have any problems.' And then I opened up, and realized that I had some things to work on. And now that I've gone through it, I realize that being here actually did change me into a better person. And I realize that I wasn't fine, and that I needed that hope to be okay. I've learned a lot about myself, and that helps me feel okay, and I know that feeling okay feels better than how I felt."
Top 10 Eating Disorder Blogs of 2015
Eating Disorder Hope Award
- Mirasol Presents at Asta 2017 April 25, 2017
- Breaking the Cycle of Eating Disorders, Insomnia and Trauma January 17, 2017
- The Promise of Trans-Cranial Electrical Stimulation November 5, 2016
- Fall Backpacking Trip October 18-20, 2016
- Embrace: The Movie September 20, 2016
- Shift. Focus. Evolve. August 31, 2016
- Maria's Worlds August 30, 2016
- The Challenges of Summer July 15, 2016
- High Ropes Course Challenges Families to Develop New Dynamic June 20, 2016
- Mirasol's Family Program: Recovery for the Whole Family June 16, 2016
- Eating Disorders, Shame and Tools for Recovery June 9, 2016
- Esquire Magazine's Recipe for Male Anorexia April 26, 2016
- Backpacking with Clients: What We Brought, And What We Took Away April 20, 2016
- Finding Yourself in the Middle of Nowhere April 20, 2016
- Eating Disorders and Sexuality: A Mirasol Panel Discussion March 10, 2016
- Straight Talk on Body Image: A Mirasol Panel Discussion February 22, 2016
- Treatment Center Reviews February 16, 2016
- Art Therapy: Challenging the Inner Critic February 8, 2016
- Men Experience Eating Disorders Too! February 8, 2016
- Jenn’s Story: Learning to Put Recovery First January 27, 2016
- “Reflections:” A Powerful Tool for Healing Relationships, Developing Personal Responsibility, and Moving Forward in Recovery January 23, 2016
- The Best Present: The Neurobiology of Giving December 16, 2015
- Having Faith: A Mirasol Client Video Testimonial December 11, 2015