Mirasol Teens Go Caving!
Adventure therapy is an integral part of Mirasol’s residential eating disorder treatment program, including hiking, camping, and also caving! On November 2, Mirasol clients accompanied by therapists and support staff explored a cave in the mountains near in Tucson.
This is not your grandmother’s cave. There are no lights and no walking path or protective railings. There’s nothing to illuminate your path but a small red flashlight — and the support of those around you.
Mirasol Clinical Director Diane Ryan thinks it’s a great metaphor for treatment.
“This is a place where we really have to help one another,” says Ryan. “There are a lot of places where it’s tight, and there are drops you can’t see, so you need someone to say, ‘put your foot here, put your hand there’. It drives home that message about depending on one another in a really healthy way.”
“There’s always a moment when you’re not sure you’re going to make it out. So we really use all of the things that we learn in treatment about breathing, and trying to relax and clearing our minds, and focusing to get through those tight spots.”
It was an unforgettable experience for one Mirasol client. “We had to learn to depend on one another, and let go of our own selves and learn that we do have limits, but we can trust one another,” she reports.
“The clients really had that spark to be there for one another and to communicate when things were tough and offer help and stay back and give others light in the hand whenever they needed it.”
Top 10 Eating Disorder Blogs of 2015
Eating Disorder Hope Award
- Breaking the Cycle of Eating Disorders, Insomnia and Trauma January 17, 2017
- The Promise of Trans-Cranial Electrical Stimulation November 5, 2016
- Fall Backpacking Trip October 18-20, 2016
- Embrace: The Movie September 20, 2016
- Shift. Focus. Evolve. August 31, 2016
- Maria's Worlds August 30, 2016
- The Challenges of Summer July 15, 2016
- High Ropes Course Challenges Families to Develop New Dynamic June 20, 2016
- Mirasol's Family Program: Recovery for the Whole Family June 16, 2016
- Eating Disorders, Shame and Tools for Recovery June 9, 2016
- Esquire Magazine's Recipe for Male Anorexia April 26, 2016
- Backpacking with Clients: What We Brought, And What We Took Away April 20, 2016
- Finding Yourself in the Middle of Nowhere April 20, 2016
- Eating Disorders and Sexuality: A Mirasol Panel Discussion March 10, 2016
- Straight Talk on Body Image: A Mirasol Panel Discussion February 22, 2016
- Treatment Center Reviews February 16, 2016
- Art Therapy: Challenging the Inner Critic February 8, 2016
- Men Experience Eating Disorders Too! February 8, 2016
- Jenn’s Story: Learning to Put Recovery First January 27, 2016
- “Reflections:” A Powerful Tool for Healing Relationships, Developing Personal Responsibility, and Moving Forward in Recovery January 23, 2016
- The Best Present: The Neurobiology of Giving December 16, 2015
- Having Faith: A Mirasol Client Video Testimonial December 11, 2015