QEEG Neurofeedback in the Diagnosis and Treatment of PTSD
QEEG guided neurofeedback has given us the ability to diagnose and treat serious disorders such as PTSD through concrete evidence of neural activity.
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) may occur in individuals who have been victims of traumatic events that are outside the range of our usual human experience. The trauma may be the result of physical or sexual abuse, serious accidents or combat. Individual who suffer from PTSD often live in a world of extreme hyper-vigilance, anxiety, and isolation and may suffer from disturbing nightmares and flashbacks.
Conventional treatment for PTSD typically involves long-term psychotherapy and continuous use of medications that may mask symptoms rather than addressing the root cause. All too often, clients become discouraged and end therapy prematurely before they are truly able to resolve their trauma and recover a sense of safety and contentment. This is where QEEG guided neurofeedback comes in, by locating and addressing the areas in the brain that are not preforming optimally.
Neurofeedback can be used to display a continuous stream of information from the client's brain. This information is shared with the clients, so that they can train themselves to achieve a more desirable state of being. Knowing they can learn to relax themselves at will provides a tremendous sense of empowerment. As a result they will also notice they are able to rest easier and feel calmer and more confident.
Neurofeedback for PTSD typically consists of 20 to 30 training sessions. During these sessions, clients may begin to recall forgotten details about the traumatic events that caused the disorder. They develop a new ability to tolerate these memories due to improved emotional resilience and sense of ease offered by neurofeedback training.
Neurofeedback can also be used in conjunction with other treatment modalities to measure their effectiveness and determine what types of treatment are most effective for the client.
For more information, see High Tech That Heals: The Use of Neurofeedback in the Treatment of Eating Disorders
Top 10 Eating Disorder Blogs of 2015
Eating Disorder Hope Award
- Mirasol Presents at Asta 2017 April 25, 2017
- Breaking the Cycle of Eating Disorders, Insomnia and Trauma January 17, 2017
- The Promise of Trans-Cranial Electrical Stimulation November 5, 2016
- Fall Backpacking Trip October 18-20, 2016
- Embrace: The Movie September 20, 2016
- Shift. Focus. Evolve. August 31, 2016
- Maria's Worlds August 30, 2016
- The Challenges of Summer July 15, 2016
- High Ropes Course Challenges Families to Develop New Dynamic June 20, 2016
- Mirasol's Family Program: Recovery for the Whole Family June 16, 2016
- Eating Disorders, Shame and Tools for Recovery June 9, 2016
- Esquire Magazine's Recipe for Male Anorexia April 26, 2016
- Backpacking with Clients: What We Brought, And What We Took Away April 20, 2016
- Finding Yourself in the Middle of Nowhere April 20, 2016
- Eating Disorders and Sexuality: A Mirasol Panel Discussion March 10, 2016
- Straight Talk on Body Image: A Mirasol Panel Discussion February 22, 2016
- Treatment Center Reviews February 16, 2016
- Art Therapy: Challenging the Inner Critic February 8, 2016
- Men Experience Eating Disorders Too! February 8, 2016
- Jenn’s Story: Learning to Put Recovery First January 27, 2016
- “Reflections:” A Powerful Tool for Healing Relationships, Developing Personal Responsibility, and Moving Forward in Recovery January 23, 2016
- The Best Present: The Neurobiology of Giving December 16, 2015
- Having Faith: A Mirasol Client Video Testimonial December 11, 2015