I truly believe that as professionals we need to be working, researching, and developing new ways of treating eating disorders which are (as you all know) extremely complex conditions.
I personally am working on relapse prevention. In my mind, there has not been enough investigation and research done on helping people when they leave treatment. For me, I feel a moral duty to provide as much in the way of continuing care as we can. After all our patients have taken a significant amount of time out of their lives and certainly spent a lot of money to be able to heal!
I've heard some clinicians say that by doing this we're making the clients dependent on the treatment center. Not so — we gradually help the client transition to support systems in her community — providing her with the strong support she needs when she goes home and becomes integrated back into her community.
I would be thrilled if those of you who read this would be willing to give me suggestions of things that helped you or might have helped you when you went home!
Top 10 Eating Disorder Blogs of 2015
Eating Disorder Hope Award
- The Promise of Trans-Cranial Electrical Stimulation November 5, 2016
- Fall Backpacking Trip October 18-20, 2016
- Embrace: The Movie September 20, 2016
- Shift. Focus. Evolve. August 31, 2016
- Maria's Worlds August 30, 2016
- The Challenges of Summer July 15, 2016
- High Ropes Course Challenges Families to Develop New Dynamic June 20, 2016
- Mirasol's Family Program: Recovery for the Whole Family June 16, 2016
- Eating Disorders, Shame and Tools for Recovery June 9, 2016
- Esquire Magazine's Recipe for Male Anorexia April 26, 2016
- Backpacking with Clients: What We Brought, And What We Took Away April 20, 2016
- Finding Yourself in the Middle of Nowhere April 20, 2016
- Eating Disorders and Sexuality: A Mirasol Panel Discussion March 10, 2016
- Straight Talk on Body Image: A Mirasol Panel Discussion February 22, 2016
- Treatment Center Reviews February 16, 2016
- Art Therapy: Challenging the Inner Critic February 8, 2016
- Men Experience Eating Disorders Too! February 8, 2016
- Jenn’s Story: Learning to Put Recovery First January 27, 2016
- “Reflections:” A Powerful Tool for Healing Relationships, Developing Personal Responsibility, and Moving Forward in Recovery January 23, 2016
- The Best Present: The Neurobiology of Giving December 16, 2015
- Having Faith: A Mirasol Client Video Testimonial December 11, 2015