Trauma Conference was Informative, Inspiring and Reassuring
Primary trauma therapist Ann Twilley and I spent an enjoyable and informative two days at the 26th Annual International Trauma Conference in Boston.
Organized and keynoted by Bessel van der Kolk, presenters and attendees included many luminaries in the field. Both researchers and practitioners advocated for increased broad-based financial support for research in the treatment of PTSD and attachment disorders with neurological interventions, particularly neurofeedback. I was delighted to have an opportunity to speak with Dr. van der Kolk about Mirasol's long-standing commitment to the use of qEEG and neurofeedback protocols for all clients.
Among the highlights for me was a presentation by Arietta Slade on the results of her research initiative, "Minding the Baby." Slade's program provides two years of support including therapeutic intervention and education for expectant mothers and their babies who are at risk for attachment challenges. Preliminary results indicate that such programs can help break the cycle of attachment disorders that could otherwise produce life-long consequences.
The use of neurofeedback, based on an increasingly sophisticated understanding of the role the nervous system plays in trauma, was woven throughout the conference workshops. Sebern Fisher, PhD, referred to the power of neurofeedback as effectively reconnecting the individual with the "good-enough mother."
The second day's workshops included a presentation on the use of energy medicine in the treatment of trauma. This provided an additional complement of tools as we address issues of helplessness and emotional dysregulation and empower our clients to master their neurological responses and therefore their impact on recovery.
All in all, the conference was informative, inspiring and reassuring. As the field expands and integrates neurological research findings into the best practices in the treatment of trauma, Mirasol will continue its commitment to providing a treatment experience that is solidly evidence-based, highly individualized, proven effective and always on the leading edge.
Top 10 Eating Disorder Blogs of 2015
Eating Disorder Hope Award
- Mirasol Presents at Asta 2017 April 25, 2017
- Breaking the Cycle of Eating Disorders, Insomnia and Trauma January 17, 2017
- The Promise of Trans-Cranial Electrical Stimulation November 5, 2016
- Fall Backpacking Trip October 18-20, 2016
- Embrace: The Movie September 20, 2016
- Shift. Focus. Evolve. August 31, 2016
- Maria's Worlds August 30, 2016
- The Challenges of Summer July 15, 2016
- High Ropes Course Challenges Families to Develop New Dynamic June 20, 2016
- Mirasol's Family Program: Recovery for the Whole Family June 16, 2016
- Eating Disorders, Shame and Tools for Recovery June 9, 2016
- Esquire Magazine's Recipe for Male Anorexia April 26, 2016
- Backpacking with Clients: What We Brought, And What We Took Away April 20, 2016
- Finding Yourself in the Middle of Nowhere April 20, 2016
- Eating Disorders and Sexuality: A Mirasol Panel Discussion March 10, 2016
- Straight Talk on Body Image: A Mirasol Panel Discussion February 22, 2016
- Treatment Center Reviews February 16, 2016
- Art Therapy: Challenging the Inner Critic February 8, 2016
- Men Experience Eating Disorders Too! February 8, 2016
- Jenn’s Story: Learning to Put Recovery First January 27, 2016
- “Reflections:” A Powerful Tool for Healing Relationships, Developing Personal Responsibility, and Moving Forward in Recovery January 23, 2016
- The Best Present: The Neurobiology of Giving December 16, 2015
- Having Faith: A Mirasol Client Video Testimonial December 11, 2015