Wilderness: A Powerful Intervention in the Treatment of Complex Trauma
Wilderness therapy is proving to be a powerful intervention in the treatment of complex trauma. Several of the unique features of adventure therapy address the dis-regulation that occurs in the individual's neurological process from varying degrees of attachment rupture. Wilderness can directly impact resiliency by providing clients with the opportunity to access a sense of safety in a novel way.
Adventure therapy often inspires a high degree of perceived risk or threat, similar to the heightened awareness that accompanies complex trauma. Moving through the experience with peers, solving problems, receiving feedback and practicing neural self-regulation allow participants to develop confidence and a set of skills that translate directly into real-world recovery.
In this setting, the opportunity to connect appropriately, challenge old beliefs, receive support and relate to others allows clients to move forward and deepen their commitment to their own process. Clients are both responsible for their own process and for the experiences of their peers.
Kinesthetically, the physical engagement of the activities encourages clients to develop a new appreciation for, and connection to, their bodies. The immediate need to fuel and care for the needs of the body creates new opportunities for clients who have been emotionally divorced from their physical selves. Nature provides a continuous backdrop of beauty, challenging and nurturing clients to a deep sense of belonging.
Adventure therapy has been shown to increase the effectiveness of other therapeutic interventions, and to improve receptivity to treatment in general. Mirasol is excited to continue the exploration and research of wilderness therapy as a potent intervention in the treatment of trauma and eating disorders.
Watch the video of Mirasol's first backpacking trip with clients
Top 10 Eating Disorder Blogs of 2015
Eating Disorder Hope Award
- Fall Backpacking Trip October 18-20, 2016
- Embrace: The Movie September 20, 2016
- Shift. Focus. Evolve. August 31, 2016
- Maria's Worlds August 30, 2016
- The Challenges of Summer July 15, 2016
- High Ropes Course Challenges Families to Develop New Dynamic June 20, 2016
- Mirasol's Family Program: Recovery for the Whole Family June 16, 2016
- Eating Disorders, Shame and Tools for Recovery June 9, 2016
- Esquire Magazine's Recipe for Male Anorexia April 26, 2016
- Backpacking with Clients: What We Brought, And What We Took Away April 20, 2016
- Finding Yourself in the Middle of Nowhere April 20, 2016
- Eating Disorders and Sexuality: A Mirasol Panel Discussion March 10, 2016
- Straight Talk on Body Image: A Mirasol Panel Discussion February 22, 2016
- Treatment Center Reviews February 16, 2016
- Art Therapy: Challenging the Inner Critic February 8, 2016
- Men Experience Eating Disorders Too! February 8, 2016
- Jenn’s Story: Learning to Put Recovery First January 27, 2016
- “Reflections:” A Powerful Tool for Healing Relationships, Developing Personal Responsibility, and Moving Forward in Recovery January 23, 2016
- The Best Present: The Neurobiology of Giving December 16, 2015
- Having Faith: A Mirasol Client Video Testimonial December 11, 2015