What to Bring, What Not to Bring
Clothing and Gear
Adventure therapy is part of Mirasol's unique, integrative eating disorder treatment program. Expect to spend part of your stay outside hiking, camping, caving, climbing or even backpacking. Mirasol is located in the Arizona Sonora Desert and the climate can vary widely throughout the course of a day. So make sure you bring the following items:
- a wide-brimmed cap or hat
- hiking boots (if you have them) or a sturdy pair of running shoes
- a warm jacket
- warm hat and gloves
- jeans or other warm long pants
- T-shirts and/or tank tops
- long-sleeved sun shirt
- sweatshirt, sweater or polar fleece
- leggings or sweatpants
- underwear and socks
- a daypack (if you have one) or small backpack
Medications, Supplements and Toiletries
- When packing your toiletries, include some lotion because the air is very dry.
- Mirasol is a scent-free facility. Please do not bring any perfumes or scented lotions.
- Please bring in at least a one-week supply of medications (that you are currently taking), in the original pharmaceutical container. Do not bring medications you are not currently taking, and do not bring samples.
- Please bring $100 cash for medication co-pays and your medical insurance card. You are also responsible for the cost of any supplements, herbs (we sell these at wholesale costs), and labs and special outside consultations recommended by our staff. A credit card needs to be on file with our business office.
- Please do not bring laxatives, candy bars, diet pills, alcohol, drugs, sweeteners, magazines, weapons or anything that could pose a danger to yourself or others. To keep Mirasol a safe place for all residents and staff, we will search your luggage and take items that you will not need during your stay at Mirasol. These items will be stored in a "Contraband" container or destroyed if thought to be an obstacle to your recovery.
- You can bring a cell phone or pre-paid telephone card and a small amount of cash for outings. Phone calls are scheduled for weekends only; there are no incoming calls unless the staff approves of the call. Incoming calls from family members will be routed to a staff member.
- Electronics that can be brought to Mirasol include iPods or MP3 players that do not have internet connectivity.
- Please do not bring laptops, netbooks, Kindles, or iPods or iPads that can connect to the internet. If you bring these items, they will be stored in your Contraband container.
- Books are subject to approval.
- Please remember to bring your insurance card and a copy of your insurance benefits book.
What to Expect
When you arrive at Mirasol, your orientation will include a luggage search, completion of release and consent forms, and a tour of the facility. You will have a medical assessment, a nutritional consultation, and a psychiatric evaluation. As part of your individualized treatment plan, you will be given an exercise routine that is especially designed for you.Subscribe to Our Newsletter Subscribe to Our Newsletter